Thursday, June 21, 2007

Walking In the Rain, Paris France



While shooting Lance Armstrong's record breaking 6th victory of the Tour de France, I wanted to take advantage of being in Paris and set up this shot near the Arc de Triomphe on the Champs Elysees. I had hired a French photography student to assist me while I was there and as soon as we began to shoot this, it began to rain and my camera stopped working. As I stood in the rain attempting to fix the camera, I realized that I needed a straight pin to "poke out" a part. This young student quickly set out to find one for me.
He came back with a pair of earrings...and it worked. I was able to fix the camera, but was still unsure if I was going to be able to salvage the shot. It was a complete technical challenge, the rain, the camera being uncooperative...I really didn't think I was getting anything at all.
But after all of that, it's ended up being one of my all-time favorite shots. The wet surface, the colors...there's just so much neat stuff going on in this image. And it's got a great story behind it.

No comments: