Friday, October 12, 2007

San Diego Mission Bay Hydroplane Boat Race



This was taken at the Unlimited Hydroplane Boat Race held in Mission Bay, San Diego, Sept 16, 2007. I have wanted to shoot this race for years though I had no idea how it would look or if it would even be a good shot or if I'd even be allowed to shoot.
When I got down there Julie, the press relations person for the race, immediately gave me a "Super Pass" to attend the entire three-day event. I scouted all the possible locations around the 2 1/2 mile oval race course and found the closest I could get to the boats was at the start/finish line. The race officials there were so unbelievably accommodating--they allowed me to go up in the starters tower and even provided me with my own scissor lift to shoot the race from the ideal point of view!
I am really pleased with the way the images turned out and look forward to shooting more of these events.

No comments: